What’s a star worth?
Download the full list of cities analysed.
Looking for a budget weekend away, just for a change, or a luxury break for that special occasion? Then check out the price by star rating information shown here to see how to stretch your budget that little bit further. For instance, if value is more important than location, 5-star accommodation in many destinations off the beaten track can be booked for the same amount as lower star categories in more familiar locations. Fancy an upgrade? Moving up a star rating may not cost as much as you think. And alternatively, going down a star could save quite a bit in some cases, especially if the amenities provided by that extra star are not vital to your stay.
Pro traveller tip: look for hotels with guest ratings much higher than their star ratings for superb value.
Lowest average 5-star accommodation for Finnish travellers: Alanya at 89 € per night
Highest average 5-star accommodation for Finnish travellers: Cancun at 539 € per night
Living the luxury life
- The sum of 450 Euro separated the highest and lowest averages paid for a single night in 5-star hotels in the most popular cities for Finnish travellers. Cancun topped the list at 539 Euro a night, followed by Los Angeles and Tokyo.
- On average, Finnish destinations represented much better value with Helsinki offering average nightly rates which were almost a quarter the price of those on the high end.
- The lowest 5-star averages were recorded in Alanya, Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur. For the price of a single night in a 5-star hotel in Cancun, Finnish travellers could have stayed for a six nights in one of Alanya’s 5-star accommodation options.
Value and choice in 4-stars
- There were 30 destinations in Asia, Europe and Australia with 4-star nightly averages of 100 Euro or less, with Rovaniemi hovering just outside of this group.
- Pattaya, Kuala Lumpur and Istanbul formed the lowest three averages, while there were plenty of other popular international crowd-pleasers in this section, including Bangkok, Beijing and Budapest.
- At the 3-star level, there were 17 destinations with nightly averages under 50 Euro. Some U.S. cities recorded averages which were more than three times this amount.
- Finnish cities also found it harder to compete at this level, but their averages were still relatively attractive, ranging from 70-90 Euro.
- 2016 had several examples of great 2-star value with 12 destinations’ averages below 25 Euro per night. Phang Nga, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok were the lowest, whereas the Finnish destinations ranged from 55-85 Euro per night.
- For an inexpensive break in Europe, Alanya was the best option, while Orlando represented the USA’s best value at the 2-star level.