What’s a star worth?
Download the full list of cities analysed.
Looking for a budget weekend away, just for a change, or a luxury break for that special occasion? Then check out the price by star rating information shown here to see how to stretch your budget that little bit further. For instance, if value is more important than location, 5-star accommodation in many destinations off the beaten track can be booked for the same amount as lower star categories in more familiar locations. Fancy an upgrade? Moving up a star rating may not cost as much as you think. And alternatively, going down a star could save quite a bit in some cases, especially if the amenities provided by that extra star are not vital to your stay.
Pro traveller tip: look for hotels with guest ratings much higher than their star ratings for superb value.
Lowest average 5-star accommodation for Australian travellers: Siem Reap at $140 per night
Highest average 5-star accommodation for Australian travellers: Anaheim at $870 per night
Living the luxury life
- An impressive sum of $750 separated the highest and lowest average prices paid for a single night in 5-star hotels in the most popular cities for Australian travellers. Anaheim topped the list at $870 a night, followed by Mykonos and Cancun.
- Australian destinations provided much better value, with all apart from Sydney offering average nightly rates that were under $250.
- The lowest 5-star average overall was recorded in Siem Reap, followed by Kuala Lumpur and Pattaya. For the same price of just a single night in a 5-star hotel in Anaheim, Australian travellers could have stayed six nights instead in one of Siem Reap’s top 5-star hotels.
|Los Angeles, CA||USA||488|
Value and choice in 4-stars
- There were 37 destinations around the world with 4-star averages of $150 or less, including Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne and Perth.
- Pattaya, Hanoi and Siem Reap formed the lowest three but this level also contained other big international favourites such as Bangkok, Buenos Aires and Shanghai.
- In the 3-star ranking, there were 28 averages under $100 a night or less, with just Cairns for Australia, although Da Nang was the lowest overall.
- The USA couldn’t easily compete with such reasonable prices, and several of its most popular cities recorded average nightly rates that were three or four times this figure.
- There were some great examples of 2-star value options in 2016, with 29 averages below $50, including Cairns and Sunshine Coast.
- Australian cities were priced $40 – $110 per night on average for this star rating.
- For an inexpensive break in Europe, Prague was the best option while Orlando was Australian travellers’ best bet for top 2-star value in the U.S.
|City||Country||5-star ($)||4-star ($)||3-star ($)||2-star ($)|